1. First and foremost, your mobile phone: The mobile phone, although has made life easier, yet on the lopsided, it has also become one of the hurdle while you work. This is because, every single second you get a message, whatsapp or a call which is an interruption in the work. Just unplug your mobile phone, switch it off, disable all the notifications and relax for a minute as the smallest interruptions kills the productivity. So, concentrate on the work and say bye to the calls and the notifications.
2. Make a list of things to be done: It is better to make a list of all things that you wish to do at first. It becomes easier to do task when the things are listed on a piece of paper. And once you have done that work cross it off the list, it makes you feel good to check a finished off task. Doing the priority things initially makes your day productive and well spent.
3. When you are tired, complete the easy tasks first: It makes your day slow when you are tired and will not be able to complete the big tasks. In that case, you can continue with the small task, or to be very frank the unimportant things, as some day you will have to do that too. So, instead of wasting time, it is better to first complete the easy task and be productive. You can also do it by mentioning the simplest things in the list making the bullet points.
4. Resting is also something productive: It’s not that work is entitled to make a productive day. You can rest and still do the same. This is because when you rest, the brain comes in peace and you tend to feel enthusiastic. The gathered enthusiasm gives you the vigor to work better, hence turning the coming day into the productive day. So, this way you also become productive and the outcome too.
5. Get the things on your desk organized: That’s a herculean task, right? Oh yes, because this is one thing really not liked by anyone. But, this is something you can do when you have nothing else to do in the office. This is common to say that you are not a regular type of person who organizes things on a daily basis, so it is good to keep everything in order and turn a day into a productive one.
6. You can read an engrossing book: While you are in the office, keep books to read in your free time. Reading books makes you learn something free of cost. So, why not get engrossed in the books when you have nothing else to do in office. Also in case you are feeling tired, you can refresh yourself with some interesting books and help fight with the slow day of your life.
7. Check your emails: On a regular basis your mail id may get flooded with lots of emails, so managing all of them may get difficult on a regular basis. In order to make it simple, use your free time fighting with your emails. Delete all the unwanted ones and keep the important ones with you. Even if you have someone to reply, do it by sending an apology for a late reply. So, by this you can turn your day into a productive day.
8. Do not try to do multi tasks: Multitasking is handling more than one work at a time. This is not about doing different office works at a time, but kidding yourself by using Facebook in the other tab and work in the other tab. May be you check Facebook and twitter very rare, but even if you do after one hour or so, it is being an interruption in your work. It will be counted into the interruptions and will become a hindrance in what you do.
9. Help someone out in the work place: If you have nothing to do then you can help someone with the work. Just like to assist some intern or the fresher at the work place. This way your time will also pass and you will be able to make new friends. If you will help someone who has lots on his plate, maybe next time when you have lots on your plate, someone lends his or her hand to you. This should not be your sole motive, but this is something you can certainly do when you have nothing productive.
10. Complete your pending work: It is possible to have lots of pending work with you, but you may not get the time to complete it just because of the regular other priority things. So, this is the time when you can finish all your pending tasks and make yourself busy; hence turning the day into productive day. This is possible to complete the things you felt to be unnecessary in the free time, utilizing the slow day in the office.
11. Learn something new: If you have nothing specific to do in the office, then it is better to move to some expert of your office and learn new things like you can learn a new language (HTML). You can practice it in the mean time and learn many other new things.
12. Talk to someone: Yes, need not widen your eyes as talking to someone is in itself something productive. This is because, when you talk to someone, you don’t just talk, but also listen and listening can help you in knowing many unknown facts and things, hence increasing your knowledge level. Not just this, when you say something, it helps in retaining that thing for longer period of time. Apart from that, you also come across many new things, new culture, styles, ideas from different people in the work place.
13. Write an article: If you like to write, then utilize your free time in writing something good. You can also work with someone as a freelancer and it will not only help increase your bank balance, but also your resume will get something to add on every new year. Not just this, although your resume will get enrich yet your brain will also get trained, thus getting a life time experience doing nothing more complicated. So, it‘s better to write something like blogs, articles, opinions etc.
14. Research for something: You may not do something in detail. So, why waste the time in doing unproductive things? It is better to enhance your knowledge by doing some research work. Research will not only help tell you the facts about the topic you are about to work on but also you will be knowing some things apart from the confined issue, which is appreciable enough. The research work is interesting and also keeps a person hooked.
15. Update the website: You can update both the websites, of your office as well as of your own. If you have an incomplete website then there is nothing more unprofessional than this. So, do not keep the website half built rather give it a strong backing and make it a success. Updating a website will make you famous, raise the hourly rate and also the search results in the google will also rise. This will ultimately help your company at the end of the day. So, do not waste time and do something productive like this and turn the slow day into competent manner.
16. Buy some present for the business or the company: If you are running your own business, then you can do your business some favor by buying a little present. That present will help make you feel you did something and also it gives an inner happiness. The gifts should be such that it broadens the horizon of your business also by being assured the money is being spent well and not wasted. So, this is a great thing to do if it is directly helping you out.
17. Plan the next visit if any: You may have something to do by the next day. If you have to do many things, then better not to sit idle and plan the next day’s working from the scratch. This will utilize your free time and the timetable for the next day will also get ready. The slow day can be turned into something productive in many ways. So, according to your convenience, you can choose the work to be done.
18. Listen to your favorite music: Trust me, the day can not only be made productive by doing some hardcore work in office. It can also be done by enjoying and relaxing your mind. This can be done any way you like, for instance, by watching movies, listening to your favorite songs, etc. Not just this, you can also paint if you are a great painter. Capture the beautiful moments with your camera if in case you are a camera lover.
19. Playing games is not a bad idea: It is always fine to sometimes do nothing but still do something. Like if you will be playing games, people might call you a time killer, but it’s you who know that it is also one of the ways of utilizing the time in a better manner. It is not necessary to work the whole day despite of feeling already low in terms of health and fitness. Playing and relaxing yourself is also something good you do for yourself. So, whenever someone points you out for wasting time on music and songs, let them speak; because they perhaps be saying it out of jealousy.
20. Reach out for the light work: When you feel like getting bored and doing like nothing. Do not worry, this happens to every second person on earth who is working. So, whenever you feel like sitting free, but still figuring out to make the day productive enough, then do some light work which is not heavy and burdened for the heart. The light work can be done by comparing the work with competitors, observing the colleagues, supervising the freshers, clearing all the unwanted things from your desk and the cabin. These things do not require heavy thinking and still will make the slow day into the productive one.
21. Expand your network: You can open your whatsapp and talk to the one’s who you never have chatted with since you became busy. Talk to them about what they are doing now days and what they aspire to do. By asking this, you may get some ideas to do and engage in when you feel like doing nothing but still making a day memorable. You can even call to the friends and the relatives and cherish your mood. Also, you can delete some numbers if you feel like having any extra and of no use to you.
So, above are some of the important tips that you should keep in mind to change the slow day into the productive one. It is said that time is precious and one should not waste the time. Whether it be entertaining or educating yourself by reading publications. The slow day comes many times in lives, instead of feeling bad and less energetic, one should think of ways to carve a niche even in those lazy days